Friday, January 15, 2010
Death Resulting in Baboon Feces
I'm writing in Starbucks, waiting for Lindsey to pick me up and take me to the Hindi Movie Store near her house so I can but some boot-legged Bollywood DVDs for the trip (about 1$ each!). I just paid a massive library fine, from all the books I took out when my leg was broken (most of them on travel & Africa ironically enough), which has set me back quite a bit with my Ghana money. My brain is going though the worst case scenarios if I'm not frugal with what cash I have. I can see myself running out of money and not being able to afford any bagged water, dehydrating, dying in my little cement hut and then, my roommate, disgusted by the smell of my decaying flesh, throws me into the street where my dry carcass is slowly eaten by the undernourished baboons they use to help sell street product. Now I know the likelihood of this happening is quite rare (25 out of 100 to be exact), most likely I will not be able to travel as much as I intended. But sometimes I think I would let a baboon nibble at me for a bit if it would mean than that I wouldn't miss out on any of the amazing experiences I'm sure to have while traveling around West Africa.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Chloe,
ReplyDeleteYou are unlikely to see any Baboons in the south of Ghana. Monkeys yes. In particular look out for Gekos, translucent lizards that will run around on the walls inside your house/hut (they eat small insects and are good to have around) and , the very large lizards that you will see in the rain forest.
Sauka Lafiya ( roughly translates as good travelling in Hausa - the language of northern Ghana)
Martin